Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging

Rennison, Louise. (1999). Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging. New York: HarperTempest.

Annotation: Fourteen-year-old Georgia lets the reader in on her life through her diary. She has a large cat named Angus, which is a large pain. And this boy – the “sex god” – whom she adores. But things just never seem to go the way she wants them to.

Justification for Rejection: This book was very hard to follow. I think part of it was in English, but not American English that I understand! I was left confused the whole time. There was a “glossary” at the back, but I was frustrated by having to flip back and forth the whole time.

Georgia does share her experiences of things typical for adolescents, but I don’t feel they were conveyed in a way that the reader can connect with. It was a quick read, which could appeal to a teen reader.

I think this book had the potential to be a funny, good read… but I was just left frustrated and annoyed by the lack of cohesion and readability.

Genre: Humor

No comments: